Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Laundry!

After almost a month of not having a working washing machine, the new one arrived yesterday!  I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
Naturally, of course, this is cause for an all-day-long laundryfest.  I think laundry is fun.  I like it.  What I don't like, however, is what is in store bought laundry detergent.  I will post later about the main ingredients (did you know most contain a very cancerous pesticide as a surfectant?) but now I will post my recipe for detergent:

1    cup soap shavings
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda

Soap shavings:  I bought a ton of Method's bar soap on clearance.  Castille soap is also recommended.  I've used hotel soap and friends report good sucess with Ivory.  The main point is that you need to grate it up or shave it in to a very fine powder.

Borax:  Found in the laundry aisle in almost every store

Washing Soda:  Usually found at Kroger and available at some Wal-Mart.

The best part?  Mix all of this up and use 1/2 tbsp per load.  That's it.  Nothing more.  If you think about what you are paying for in the store, you are paying mostly for WATER.  Why should you spend your money to transport WATER with a small amount of ingredients?  If you are buying a powder detergent, you are often paying for FILLER.  Why on earth would you want FILLER?

I know many detergents have a fancy scent that keeps you happy.  I will post more about fragrance in another blog.  Why do companies use fragrance?  Because the chemicals used to clean your clothes leave an odd scent.  Making your own detergent will eliminate any need for chemical cover up.  It leaves your clothes looking clean, smelling FRESH, and will not show wear as soon as using the chemicals/

Each load comes out to around .02 to .10 cents a load.


No comments:

Post a Comment